Modern Homestead Garden
Filled with easy-to-employ ideas and lessons for improving your food self-sufficiency no matter how much land you have, The Modern Homestead Garden focuses on planting, growing, harvesting, and preserving food.
If concerns about the environment and the health and wellness of yourself and your family leave you longing to make a change, start growing and preserving your own organic foods. With the guidance found in The Modern Homestead Garden, you'll discover how little land and effort it takes to start growing healthy, nutritious food.
Modern homesteading is a lifestyle focused on living lightly on the land and increasing self-sufficiency. It doesn't matter whether "home" is 50 acres in the country, a suburban corner lot, or an apartment in the city; all you need is a desire to reduce your footprint on the earth and live a more sustainable life. To be a modern homesteader, you don't have to live off-grid and you don't have to give up contemporary conveniences. For most modern homesteaders, it all starts with making the conscious decision to reduce your reliance on the commercial food supply chain.
In The Modern Homestead Garden, author and YouTube gardening star Gary Pilarchik of The Rusted Garden walks you step-by-step through the process of building a homestead garden. From laying out the planting beds, nurturing the soil, and starting seeds, straight through to cooking and preserving the harvest, Gary serves as your warm and accessible guide, no matter how large or how small your homestead is. With the guidance found here, you'll move at your own pace, learn, share, and enjoy the journey as you slowly transform your home into an edible landscape.
- Practical advice to site and build your very first homestead garden
- Crop profiles to get you growing quickly
- Cost-effective ways to source seeds and plants
- The low-down on feeding plants in an earth-friendly way
- Methods for preparing planting beds and containers
- Soil prep advice every homesteader can use
- All natural trouble-shooting solutions
- How to include berries, cane fruits, vine crops, and fruit trees in your homestead plans
- Food preservation advice that's easy and delicious